Print Email Facebook Twitter More Donald Trump says there’s still a chance for the US-North Korea meeting with Kim Jong-un
US President Donald Trump says it is possible a planned summit with North Korea’s leader Kim Jong-un could still take place on June 12 as originally planned, just a day after he cancelled the meeting citing Pyongyang’s “tremendous anger and open hostility”.
Following Mr Trump’s sudden cancellation, North Korea issued a statement saying it remained open to talks.
“It was a very nice statement they put out,” Mr Trump said as he left the White House to deliver a commencement address at the US Naval Academy.
“We’ll see what happens — it could even be the 12th.
“We’re talking to them now. They very much want to do it. We’d like to do it.”
Earlier on Twitter, Mr Trump had called the North’s reaction “warm and productive” and expressed hope for “long and enduring prosperity and peace”.
The Friday morning (local time) tweet came a day after he withdrew from the June 12 summit.
In a letter to North Korea leader Kim Jong-un, Mr Trump had blamed “tremendous anger and open hostility” by Pyongyang, but held out hope that the meeting could happen.
‘Not just a political stunt’
Defence Secretary Jim Mattis told reporters diplomats were “still at work” and said Mr Trump had just sent a note out on the summit, which could be back on “if our diplomats can pull it off.”
White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders told reporters Mr Trump did not want a meeting that was “just a political stunt.”
full story https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-26/trump-says-theres-still-a-chance-for-the-us-north-korea-summit/9802172″> Print Email Facebook Twitter More Donald Trump says there’s still a chance for the US-North Korea meeting with Kim Jong-un