Supreme Court

Current events, politics, and more.
MT
Anti-Neocon novice
Anti-Neocon novice

Supreme Court

Post by MT » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:55 pm

So there is one vacancy in the Supreme Court, I had heard from Robert Novak (and his sources) that there would be two, and for some strange reason i believed that, Perhaps Rehnquist is just waiting for the right time to retire.

Of course one of the biggest things, if not the biggest, for Bush supporters and the "mythical religious right" * (paraphrasing ann coulter here, another tangent, the religious right doesn't exist but 39% of voters agree with its views on policy) is overturning Roe V. Wade. Banning abortions. And as a man I've always felt who am I to say anything on this subject, but my best friend in the world has lost 2 babies, the one kid she has isn't 100% healthy, she lives in her mother's house, her mother who suffers from multiple sclerosis. Her daughter has had a father for about half of her almost 4 years in this world, because he's been off in Iraq fighting some fool's war. My friend can't work while pregnant, she can't drive when she can work due to epileptic seizures. Most of her family gets what they get from a Food Pantry. She had one pregnancy terminated because the boy was diagnosed with a severe case of spinabifida, the girl she's pregnant with now has been diagnosed with the same, but not so severe, she doesn't know what to do. I've taken this woman to the ER alone twice in the past year due to paralyzing headaches. I can't see her surviving taking care of her mother, her one "healthy" kid, a new baby, let alone one with spinabifida, and her husband who's returned from Iraq and suffering severely with Post Ttraumatic Stress disorder, he has been sent home on paid leave from the Columbus Police Dept. Thank heavens for the "paid" part of that, he's not the same man who was sent to Iraq, very angry a lot of the time.

She most likely won't have this baby and be called a killer and sinner because of it.

My thoughts when I first learned of her pregnancy, wow even if it's a healthy baby she's going to have a hell of a time with it and the situation she's in right now.

I'm afraid of Roe v. Wade being overturned because I don't think the nonexistent religious right will be happy there. Then we'll get into the stem cell thing, banning "the pill", prophylactics of any kind.

I think the best bet is to hope for another empty seat right now, so W doesn't easily get who he wants, he'll have to give the democrats something for Gonzalez to be easily confirmed. I'm very afraid though, W's minions hold all the cards.

I was just sitting around the other day and realised I was wearing a t-shirt with the American Flag, and it says Proud to be an American, and it's true, but damn is it getting difficult. We're fighting for freedom in the middle east and giving away freedom to do it.

Ry
Super Anti-Neocon
Super Anti-Neocon

Post by Ry » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:12 am

Gonzoles supports torture. We need to fight his nomination tooth and nail.