Corporate Power

Current events, politics, and more.
Nomad
Anti-Neocon novice
Anti-Neocon novice

Corporate Power

Post by Nomad » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:05 pm

"As a result of the war, corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed. I feel at this moment more anxiety than ever before, even in the midst of war. God grant that my suspicions may prove groundless."
-President Abraham Lincoln, November 21, 1864

Lincoln (who has been called America's Bismarck) was proved right. In the discussion on Libertarians, somebody said that without a powerful central gov't, corporations wouldn't have as much control as they do.

Well I think if they decided they needed one, corporations would create a strong central government where a weak one existed before.

Perhaps it's more than a coincidence that the Civil War swung the pendulum of authority from the state level to federal at the same time the railroad barons were ascending to the height of their power. The legal framework of the modern corporation can be traced back to that time as well.

And Ry's point stands...in the absence of governmental coercion, the rich are more than capable of bringing religious coercion to bear. Witness the Dark Ages.
planet over property
community over competition
well-being over wealth
cooperation over control

Image Image

Ry
Super Anti-Neocon
Super Anti-Neocon

Post by Ry » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:55 pm

Perhaps it's more than a coincidence that the Civil War swung the pendulum of authority from the state level to federal at the same time the railroad barons were ascending to the height of their power
Lincoln was a railroad lawyer.

Lincoln regreted it but he was the one who allowed the creation of the 2d National Bank.

His greenbacks fought the money changers but in the end he was shot before he could take the power of the 2d bank away from them. Since Andrew Jackson the Bankers had been out of power.

There was a President who had and Idea to lessen government strenght but keep religions in check by taxing them. He stood for the taxation of churches and disolving the privately owned central banks. His name was Garfield and someone shot him too.

There was another President who despite many faults woke up after the bay of pigs disaster and planed to disolve the CIA and the Federal Reserve, and someone shot him too, his name was JFK.

If you haven't seen this yet please please see it money masters and part II

these are a must see if you want to know who has REALLY shaped American history. I'm not going to write it out when someone already made an excellent film on it.

Im afraid the solution is either what is suggested in this film or it is going to unfortunately require a lot of violence.
Get The Empire Unmasked here