I'm OK! from South Carolina floods

Current events, politics, and more.
GamerS
Smashing neocons
Smashing neocons

I'm OK! from South Carolina floods

Post by GamerS » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:54 pm

We were very lucky. When I moved here, I made sure to not buy in a flood zone or anywhere where we did not have a lot of "downhill" for water to go. It is horrible. Back to work we are still trying to catch up with deliveries. (I work for a major package delivery company). Work till 9:30 every night. So many have their homes flooded. Our major Lake Murray dam held. They opened the floodgates which has not been done since 1969. This added to the flooding, but a dam failure of this magnitude is not an option. We are still under boil water alert although I believe it's not necessary where I live. We're OK, but many are not.

Phys
Anti-Zionist princess

Re: I'm OK! from South Carolina floods

Post by Phys » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:10 am

Isn't South Caroline the most Gerrymandered state in the US? No, that's North Carolina.

Im sorry you are experiencing this. I would move, but I wouldn't ever live in South East US or really anywhere on the East Coast.

Rio
Smashing neocons
Smashing neocons

Post by Rio » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:15 pm

A lot of homes were flooded out during the last flood back in May in Houston this year. I got lucky even though the streets in my neighborhood are prone to flooding. It's ridiculous that the city can't seem to fix the drainage problems that plague this area because it's not like flooding isn't something that we don't have to deal with every year.

GamerS
Smashing neocons
Smashing neocons

Post by GamerS » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:53 pm

The flood is over but the problems are just beginning for many people. I was delivering this morning in a neighborhood maybe 10 mins from my house and this was the view from my truck. Can't attach. file bigger than 440kb. Really? It's a text message photo. Should be small enough. Don't have GIMP installed on this computer. It shows a whole street with EVERYTHING inside the house including ductwork all laid out by the side of the road.

Also chatted with the folks a the Lake Murray Dam where I delivered to as well and it was a very exciting time for them. They did not say a lot, I think they hid the danger from the public cause they thought they had it under control, which they did. the bottom of the dam was flooded where I was standing today and they opening of the floodgates caused much of the flooding. But flooding of hundreds of homes is better than a 30 foot wall of water going over the whole city. 10 years age they spent 250 million on a backup dam for this old earthen dam. I think it was money well spent. And earthquake could cause liquifaction of the earthen dam.