Naava
End the occupationS. Yes, all of them.

Wear a wristband to remind yourself of your white privilege

Post by Naava » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:58 am

Oh my.. :o :lol:

Wis. education officials want students to wear ‘white privilege’ wristbands

By Kyle Olson / EAGnews.org

MADISON – The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction runs several programs that heavily emphasize racial issues in public schools.

Some feel that one of those programs – an Americorps operation called VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) – may go a bit overboard by encouraging white students to wear a white wristband “as a reminder about your (white) privilege.”

Geared towards high school students, the program “seeks to build capacity in schools and districts serving low-income families to develop an effective, sustainable, research-based program of family-school-community partnerships,” according to its Facebook page.

That sounds reasonable enough.

But the program’s approach becomes a bit suspect when one reads the Gloria Steinem quote on the top of its webpage: “The first problem for all of us, men and women, is not to learn, but to unlearn.”

The webpage also offers a series of suggestions:

for high schools students to become more racially sensitive. They include:
  • Wear a white wristband as a reminder about your privilege, and as a personal commitment to explain why you wear the wristband.

Set aside sections of the day to critically examine how privilege is working.

Put a note on your mirror or computer screen as a reminder to think about privilege.
The Wisconsin DPI also sponsors several similar programs, including CREATE Wisconsin, an on-going “cultural sensitivity” teacher training program which focuses largely on “whiteness” and “white privilege.”

EAGnews will be exposing more about that program in a film documentary titled, “RE-CREATING AMERICA: Cultural Sensitivity in Wisconsin Schools,” along with a two-day written series on the same topic, beginning Monday.

Will DPI’s obsession with race and “white privilege” actually translate into better educational outcomes for all students? Not likely.

But it will continue to divide the state by race and income status, and allow bureaucrats to make a case for more government funding so they can create a different type of America.

Wisconsin taxpayers really ought to be paying more attention to how their education dollars are spent.

http://eagnews.org/wisconsin-education- ... ristbands/

Ry
Super Anti-Neocon
Super Anti-Neocon

Re: Wear a wristband to remind yourself of your white privil

Post by Ry » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:53 am

white privilege my ass. Whites are the only group in America without a privilege. They have to compete with everyone, where as others just have to the be the best within their own category to get into college and sometimes even to get a job. They don't even look at white children until after those categories are full. especially the males.
Get The Empire Unmasked here

bruno718
Anti-Neocon Regular
Anti-Neocon Regular

Post by bruno718 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:41 pm

Ry wrote:white privilege my ass. Whites are the only group in America without a privilege. They have to compete with everyone, where as others just have to the be the best within their own category to get into college and sometimes even to get a job. They don't even look at white children until after those categories are full. especially the males.
this
mokesnapcentral.blogspot.com

Kyle
Speaking out
Speaking out

Post by Kyle » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:56 pm

I need to find where my privileges are located so I can claim them. :P

Tim
Anti-Neocon Patrol

Post by Tim » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:54 pm

I like how collectivists totally ignore the fact that there are millions of low income to poverty stricken white communities in the US. Working class whites had to work for everything they have. They didn't have anything handed to them on a silver platter like leftist college professors want you to think. Working class white people are no different than black people or any other ethnic group in the sense that they had to work for everything. The only people with privileges are the ones in power. The rest of us are borderline slaves at this point.

33breeze
Protesting War
Protesting War

Post by 33breeze » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:12 pm

But what about these statistics:
Look at employment and racism
http://filipspagnoli.wordpress.com/stat ... -racism/#4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What about this?:
http://racismstillexists.tumblr.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We have to compare things to this though:

http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/view ... sp?id=1627" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

33breeze
Protesting War
Protesting War

Post by 33breeze » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:16 pm

smh the teacher thing:

Naava

Post by Naava » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:50 pm

33breeze wrote:But what about these statistics:
Look at employment and racism
http://filipspagnoli.wordpress.com/stat ... -racism/#4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Have you considered the NATURE of the crimes on those white people's criminal records? Why isn't that aspect shown in there?

Also, when trying to produce an honest and transparent survey on racism it should always be mentioned who are you asking the questions. What race are they? Otherwise your inquiry is utterly worthless and you just come across a manipulator.

As far as I can see only this one does and the results don't look that bad

Tim
Anti-Neocon Patrol

Post by Tim » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:07 pm

Naava wrote: As far as I can see only this one does and the results don't look that bad
Image[/color]
He's talking about employment and racism and you're talking about approval of interracial marriage. I must have missed the connection but what's the point you're trying to make? Just because blacks and whites can marry doesn't mean discrimination in the workforce doesn't exist..

Naava

Post by Naava » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:16 pm

You can get a criminal record in America for nothing regardless of your skin colour. A white youtuber called Katersoneseven got a hers for absent-mindedly walking out of a compartment store with unpaid sunglasses she forgot on. So what were they guilty of? Speeding? Insurance fraud? Murder?