Santa Vs Jesus....winner Santa.

Current events, politics, and more.
Phys
Anti-Zionist princess

Post by Phys » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:19 pm

gracie wrote: Santa is way cool. Its easy to see why they overmarket him (and Xmas). Its not the big corps that make Santa popular - they're banking on his popularity (and he was very popular in the 19th century as well).
The non-religious lore and symbols of Xmas are my favorite.

I love December. It means SNOW to me (always something to celebrate where I am from); and sledding, snowboarding, a big fire in the fireplace, sharing warm meals with friends, ice skating, the lights, and beautiful hand knit scarves and hats...the onset of Winter is "the most wonderful time of the year."
It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside =) It brings back great childhood memories. It's the best....

OK I love Christmas I admit - I celebrate all month and it peaks on New Years Eve..but I don't consume - I don't shop. I cook and make things and sing and have lots of parties lol. It is sooo fun =) and I never get stressed either. That would make it very unfun and I do not do unfun. LOL
That was a nice read. Thanks for sharing this.

Although, I'm a total summer girl winter does have its perks like you have written about so well.

Hot weather has fun clothes. Yes. Despite my harsh language I'm a total girly girl. I would rather be swimming in a lake, rafting a river, or just laying out. When I lived in AZ, we had an orange and lemon tree in our yard. Yummy! You can still fellowship with cookouts plus you can light fireworks. Oh well, summer will be here before you know it. Burr…the coldness.

NOTALOWBROW
Anti-Neocon Regular
Anti-Neocon Regular

Post by NOTALOWBROW » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:55 pm

Oh I love summer too, everything you mentioned =) I am a beach girl --spent several years on the Big Island. I love to camp out in the wilderness too...and boating/sailing is way up there for me. I'm also major into gardening. Lake Tahoe is gorgeous all year round....I love the seasons.

I just enjoy life I guess. Its all good =)

NOTALOWBROW
Anti-Neocon Regular
Anti-Neocon Regular

Post by NOTALOWBROW » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:57 pm

Ry wrote:
I thought it was Twas the Night Before Christmas (circa 1820) that gave Santa the red costume.
Nope that just gave a discription of his face.

You guys need to read my hidden history of Xmas. Its in the Hidden history section with like 6 thousand views.

viewtopic.php?t=4528 the history of xmas and santa
Hmm...must just remember the pictures. I did read your Hidden History of Xmas and enjoyed it! I already knew a lot of that stuff because pre-Christian history is a biggie for me as well. =)

Ry
Super Anti-Neocon
Super Anti-Neocon

Post by Ry » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:30 am

grew up on ans Island so naturally I'm a summer dude but in Japan the best seasons are Fall and Spring.
Get The Empire Unmasked here

Ian
Smashing neocons
Smashing neocons

Post by Ian » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:11 am

Winter is my favorite unless you live somewhere it doesn't snow. Here in TN it's been raining for nearly a month(it seems) and it's cold and there's no fun to be had anywhere :( Also, I think maybe MY copy of Twas The Night Before Christmas also had Santa in a red suit. But, in 1820 the guy prolly didn''t have a drawings with the poem. Maybe...
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."
Sir Winston Churchill

"Fine, let’s take a vote. Who wants fish for dinner?...Yeah, democracy ain’t so fun when it fucks you, huh?” http://twitter.com/Shitmydadsays

Ry
Super Anti-Neocon
Super Anti-Neocon

Post by Ry » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:47 am

might have read it last year I extended it for xmas 2007

Ry
Super Anti-Neocon
Super Anti-Neocon

Re: Santa Vs Jesus....winner Santa.

Post by Ry » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:54 pm

ha ha ha I laughed at myself
This morphed Norse god of Woden and a Coca-Cola commercial icon hybrid wins over the masochistic Jewish zombie man and advocate of magic cannibalism every time. Santa's movies are better too. However Jesus Christ super star is pretty funny and does make a good drinking game.

DetainThis
Anti-Neocon novice
Anti-Neocon novice

Post by DetainThis » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:52 am

Wow. Something from Ry I actually take exception with.
Ry wrote: Well first of all, no wars have been fought in the name of Santa.
Did Jesus instruct His disciples to wage aggression against innocents in His name? Or is war in the name of Christianity the making of states and evil church leaders who only claim to be living out Jesus' teachings?
Ry wrote:In fact, in WWI there was an unofficial truce, a moment of peace time occurred in the Xmas 1914 where troops exchanged presents.
True, but were they celebrating the birth of Santa Claus, or the birth of Christ? Did they say they were celebrating the goodwill passed down and embodied in the traditions of "Santamas"?
Ry wrote:Just think of Xmas morning verse going to an xmas mass, case closed.
Not so fast. Believe it or not, Mass is no less voluntary than rising in the morning and exchanging gifts and drinking hot chocolate. Which one is more fulfilling (or fun) depends on the values instilled in upbringing, as well as individual taste.
Ry wrote:Which mythology is healthier?: the man demanding worship and obedience whose has multitudes of sects arguing about the volumes of what they think he may have said or the cookie loving guy that lives with elves whose entire moral philosophy has been summed up in two words, “be good.”
Again: Worshiping Christ is a voluntary act. Did Jesus demand that wars be fought to make people worship Him? Or is that the making of states and nefarious church leaders?
Ry wrote:The Santa Vs Jesus proves that it is much more fun to give than to just talk about it. Everyone enjoys the Santa mythology more than the Jesus myth. (Including most Christians thought they won’t admit that). It’s far better to thank and love your living family than a man who died to protect you from his father (also himself, so long as you believe in his masochistic tantrum).
"Masochistic tantrum" eh? Well, not that you believe it happened or anything, but...

I remember one "tantrum" from the New Testament where Jesus kicked the money-changers' asses and threw them out. It was anything but "masochistic"; in fact, was it not for the least of His people? Perhaps you sense that He was doing it all for show; but tell me, did He not put His life on the line? Is that not an inspiration for the actions of our anti-fed, anti-state luminaries of today like Ron Paul (who is a devout Christian himself)?

Also: I am not what you would call a devout Christian, but I was born and raised Catholic. And I have no trouble admitting that the "magical" feeling derived from the Santa, Rudolph, candy canes, stocking-hanging, Christmas lights, gift-giving, etc., was always "more fun" than the going-to-church part.

But I, personally, find no fun in incessantly defaming others for their (and their) religious beliefs — no matter how fantastical they may seem. But that's just me.
Ry wrote:A tree is a lot happier than a cross: a device of torture. And a jolly fat man with toys is a lot more appealing than a skinny dead dude on a stick. A wreath is much merrier than a bloody crown of thorns. Christmas cookies taste a lot better than holy wafers pretending to be pieces of somebody’s body.
Here, you're just jabbing away at Christians for their use of symbolism. Many religions use dark symbolism to forge a resolve in their believers toward overcoming despair toward salvation and so forth (thus, the winter solstice, etc.); why single out Christianity? Oh yeah. It's Christmastime. Never mind...
Ry wrote:But I will say in general wine wins over eggnog, so I’ll give one point for Jesus there.
I like egg nog more myself (wine gives me headaches), but oh well. To each his own (or should I rephrase that for your sensibilities — something like "to each his own stupid beliefs"? :wink: ).
Ry wrote:Believing in Santa is happy, believing in Jesus is an escape from punishment and laced with constant guilt and worry. Discovering Santa is not real is a bummer, learning Jesus was not real either is a relief.
Not necessarily. When a believer is convinced (or "learns," as you term it) that Jesus didn't exist, it can destroy their world. Some will react positively and move on with their lives; but for others, it can bring them down so hard that it turns their life upside down. I've seen it in my life and it is tragic when that person never recovers — never gets that "relief."
Ry wrote:Despite is stalker like powers and total disregard for trespassing; Santa is far more friendly and lovable than Mr. Walking dead man.
You're wrong on Santa here. He is welcomed into people's homes. That's why we put out cookies and milk and clean out our chimneys extra nice, man!

Mr. Walking dead man, eh? Jab away, Ry.

I agree that religion is a problem, but only when it is used by the state, charaltan and criminal church leaders, or zealous individuals, to violate others' rights by forcing it upon them. The mere existence of religion neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg (to paraphrase Jefferson, I believe, on another subject).

No hard feelings, Ry; but just remember that to some people, religion is pretty much all they have.

Would you defame the Prophet Mohammed and Jesus to a group of Palestinians in Gaza who have nothing left in their life but faith in God and the prophets?

I love ya, man; just remember that there are more-ominous enemies to life, liberty, peace, etc., out there than peoples' religious beliefs. They're known as governments.

Remember, also: Jesus was an enemy of the state, perhaps the biggest enemy of state tyranny in history. That ought to count for something amidst your anti-Christianity rants.
Ry wrote:Merry Christmas every one.
That should be "Merry Santamas" from you, my friend.

DetainThis
Anti-Neocon novice
Anti-Neocon novice

Post by DetainThis » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:55 am

When I said Jesus kicked the money-changers' asses, I didn't mean it literally, of course. But they got their asses kicked nonetheless.

DetainThis
Anti-Neocon novice
Anti-Neocon novice

Post by DetainThis » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:23 am

Wait a minute. This ain't right. I must say something...

Ry,

I kinda knew before that you were anti-religion, etc. I never wanted it to be an issue, and it really isn't. I tend to stay away from religious matter altogether. But seeing all the Jesus-bashing in here, for the sake of Jesus-bashing, I had to speak my mind.

Anyway, I don't feel any differently about you as a friend and associate than before. I do want to say something, and it's kinda what I was tryng to say in my response to your post, and that is:

You are bigger than that, man! You are beyond the personal jabs at religions and the people who believe in what you call myths. You are so good at destroying modern POLITICAL frauds with empirical and factual tangible evidence. Why waste your time and energy on things you will be able to disprove to the believer any more than the believer will ever prove to you?

I didn't share the following originally because it's private, but what the fuck. Life goes on.

On my 15th birthday, some people I thought were my friends tried to force me into converting to Baptist. It really fucked me over bad, and made me question everything. I was pretty much kidnapped and forced to attend their church service and forced to "admit" that I needed to be "saved" and all that crap. I was sweating bullets out of sheer frustration and anger. The worst part was that I missed my own family's birthday party for me because Baptist church services last several hours, and I didn't get back home until later that evening because THEY — my "friends" — wanted to throw a party of their own for me at their place. You have no idea, man. Or maybe you do. I don't know. In any case, it was one of the worst days of my life. Since then, I haven't attended even Catholic service except for weddings, funerals, and Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve. (If it makes you feel better, I DON'T believe I will burn in hell for this; neither does my mom, who is truly a devout Catholic.)

So, even though I disagree with your roughshod rants against Christianity, I do relate to you in a way: I fucking detest anyone or any group or any state that forces anyone to believe or worship a certain way. If I was a truly devout Christian, I'd probably have really laid into you; but having experienced both sides of the fence (falling on top of it, to put it rather symbolically), there's no way I'm gonna harbor any grudge or ill will against ya. I totally understand.

I hope I didn't upset. I hate to come into your forum and attempt to rebut everything you say. After all, we hardly disagree on anything politically. And you've been a priceless source of knowledge for me and countless others. No respect lost here. In fact, the honesty only makes you more "real." I hope the feeling is mutual.

That's all I have to say from my personal standpoint on this issue. Probably for the next couple years at least. What a drain...

Tu ne cede malis.